SET_NETDEV_DEV -> 83xx HDLC Driver??

Russell McGuire rmcguire at videopresence.com
Sat Jan 26 13:43:39 EST 2008

All,

I am partly done porting a combination of the 83xx ATM driver and dscc4 HDLC
driver into a 83xx HDLC driver.

However, encounter a call I don't truly understand.

SET_NETDEV_DEV(dev, pointer_to_some_handle);

I can see plenty of examples of this registering some kind of PCI device
handle, however in this case I am not using a PCI device. So what should the
pointer be? Or can this call be ignored, and if so what are the
consequences?

I see the some of the Freescale Ethernet devices don't use this call.

Anyway, can somebody shed some light on if I am going to need this, or a way
to get it to work, without creating a PCI device?

-Russ