error: array type has incomplete element type

WEHBI Rami r_wehbi at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 18 04:05:03 EST 2008

Hi all,

 I am trying to compile a kernel for the ppc405 embedded on the virtex 4 and I am obtaining the compiling errors listed below(at the end of this mail).

 my compiler is the crosstool  latest one.

 I tried to compile each the  following kernel versions :
 2.6.23.8
  2.6.17

 with the following versions of  gcc and glibc of the crosscompiler
 gcc-4.0.2-glibc-2.3.5
 gcc-4.1.0-glibc-2.3.6
 gcc-4.1.1-glibc-2.3.6

 the result is always the same  (array type has incomplete element type)

 moreover I searched all the  files and I replaced
             (struct ocp_def  core_ocp[])        with  (struct ocp_def core_ocp[2])
         because my architectur  contains only one UART, the result is always the same (same  error).

 any help is  appreciated,

  arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:23: error: array type has incomplete element  type
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:25:  error: field name not in record or union  initializer
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:25: error: (near initialization for  'core_ocp')
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:26: error: field name not in record or union  initializer
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:26: error: (near initialization for  'core_ocp')
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:27: error: field name not in record or union  initializer
  arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:27: error: (near initialization for  'core_ocp')
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:28: error: field name not in record or union  initializer
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:28: error: (near initialization for  'core_ocp')
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:29: error: field name not in record or union  initializer
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:29: error: (near initialization for  'core_ocp')
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:30: error:  field name not in record or union  initializer
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:30: error: (near initialization for  'core_ocp')
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:30: error: 'OCP_CPM_NA' undeclared here (not  in a function)
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:63: error: field name not in record or union  initializer
 arch/ppc/syslib/virtex_devices.c:63: error: (near initialization for   'core_ocp')

Rami