Problem booting Linux 2.6 on Virtex-4

Enno Lübbers enno.luebbers at upb.de
Mon Jan 14 19:37:16 EST 2008

Hello David,

Am 14.01.2008 um 06:12 schrieb David Baird:

> I'm having trouble with getting Linux to boot farther than early_init.
> [...]
> So, I experimented further and discovered that different memory
> regions seem to be aliased on to each other every 2*32*256 bytes.

This sounds either like a wrong programming of an BRx/ORx memory
controller register pair (which, AFAIK, the PPC405 does not have), or
like a messed up address map in EDK. My guess is that an optimized/
sloppy implementation of the address decoder for some peripheral in an
EDK system could produce something like you described; or there's a
block RAM that's attached to a controller in the wrong way; or the
bank/address parameters of the DDR controller don't match the physical
setup... there's a lot that can go wrong obviously on a configurable
SoC.

Can you be more specific about your hardware platform? Is this a
reference design? What board are you using?

Regards
- Enno

--
Dipl.-Ing. Enno Luebbers