83xx, ucc_geth, kernel 2.6.23, IP-Config: No network devices

Russell McGuire rmcguire at videopresence.com
Mon Jan 7 21:54:53 EST 2008

Ok, I am still stuck on this.
Why isn't probe being called on any of the Freescale network device drivers?

I can see the Generic MII PHY Driver being registered.
The UCC_GETH and UCC_GETH_MDIO both being registered.

An for fun, I even modified the Marvell PHY driver devices ID's to correctly
identify a National part that I am using, and I see this registering.

I would appear all the appropriate entries are in the .dts file
for each the different parts (mdio, ucc_geth, ucc_geth_mdio, phy0).

And yet still no probe functions get called for any of those drivers?

I need this to NFS boot, into the ELDK 4.1 file system.

Does anyone have an example of the 2.6.23 kernel working DTS files for a
Freescale 8360 that they are using NFS Booting for? Has anyone proofed this
out, or is everyone else using this as a module or driver that doesn't kick
until after the root file system is loaded?

Alternatively is there something specific perhaps U-boot is populating in
the OF structure that is preventing my Ethernet phy from being recognized in
the linux kernel? Why are none of the probe functions being called?

-Russ