NETdev driver question xxxx_type_trans()

Russell McGuire rmcguire at videopresence.com
Sat Feb 23 10:48:51 EST 2008

Andy,

Thanks... I only have the hdlc_type_trans, on the RX side of the equation.

I want the driver to be able to support two modes, so not sure if I am going
to have to put an ioctl switch into to turn this on / off.

Mode 1) I want the driver to be able to simulate an Ethernet device, which I
assume will need to use the hdlc_type_trans(), to remove layer 2.

Mode 2) I want the driver to be able to support fully RAW mode, but then
again, perhaps the hdlc_type_trans() knows this already depending on what
mode I am setup in, via 'sethdlc' ???

At the moment before I am able to use the device, I have to configure it via

'sethdlc hdlc0 hdlc-eth' or similar. <-- that previous call I assuming links
it to the TCP/IP stack as I can assign IP addresses with
"ifconfig hdlc0 up 192.168.1.100".

However, for true P2P support, I was wanting to be able to open the device
directly and manage everything directly at the application level, i.e. the
only protocol would be "Application Layer->HDLC" and nothing in between.

In that case, I was concerned that any removal of Layer 2 stuff, simply
would be unnecessary as the 83xx already pulls the HDLC layer stuff off,
before I get the sk_buff. <Using the MCC Engine to a TDM<T1> port>.

So not sure if the kernel will let me... But that is one of my goals.

-Russ