initramfs problem - /init file

raul.moreno at telvent.abengoa.com raul.moreno at telvent.abengoa.com
Thu Feb 21 21:38:52 EST 2008

raul.moreno at telvent.abengoa.com wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I created a tiny root filesystem, just with Busybox, that I want to use
as
>> rootfs through initramfs (and keep it as the final root filesystem).
>>
>>  Then I created an init file which is a link to
>> /sbin/init and I inserted the created cpio file with this filesystem in
>> CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE.
>    The simplest way to get initramfs working is to stuff your
>root filesystem tree in a directory, and point
>    CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE at it.
>    The kernel build process will take care of all the cpio stuff
>for you.
>   Personally I think it is the easiest to maintain.

Hello Dave,

thanks for your answer. I agree with you, the easy way is to assign the
rootfs directory. I gave the filesystem as a cpio file because it is the
same (the kernel takes the rootfs and converts it to a cpio format), but
the compilation is faster. Anyway, although now I do as you said, I still
get the error:
"Failed to execute /init
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to
kernel."
I can't understand why it happens. I check the permission of /init and
/sbin/init and everything seems to me OK.

Any idea?

Raúl Moreno