[Virtex4] kernel2.6 or distribution

Stephen Neuendorffer stephen.neuendorffer at xilinx.com
Thu Feb 7 06:06:49 EST 2008

The distributions contain kernel code that is heavily tested and stable, in addition to a toolchain, debuggers, rootfilesystem, etc.  git.xilinx.com is just the kernel code, without anything else.  git.xilinx.com also contains new code that is under development, rather than primarily stable code.

> If I have understood MontaVista for example offers a solution with a C
> library and drivers, isn't it ? So is it a better solution than kernel2.6 ?

'better' for what?
development of new code? yes, most distributions use older kernels.
building a sytem? Maybe... it depends on what features you need.
learning? Maybe... It depends on what you already know and what you want to learn.