External Interrupt

Marco Stornelli marco.stornelli at coritel.it
Sat Feb 2 03:22:21 EST 2008

Sergei Shtylyov ha scritto:

>>>   How comes that it's not platform device if it hangs off the local bus?
>
>> In SoC system generally the platform device are (more or less) the
>> microprocessor controller like i2c, pci, local bus itself and so on.
>
>     That's SoC devices but the notion of the platform device is not limited to
> SoC device only, rather to all the on-board devices.
>
>> I think is like if you consider a PCI board a platform device only because
>> it hangs off the PCI link.
>
>     No. PCI devices are detectable/configurable by kernel -- even if they are
> on-board chips, they can be found by PCI bus scan (and finally presented as
> the device nodes as well), while local bus devices (most probably) not.  An
> example (that comes to mind) of a device hanging off the local bus and yet
> described by the device tree are the flash chips.

Yes you are right. The local bus is like i2c, but I've never seen a
device connected with i2c and described with a sub-node of i2c node in
the dts file, however I think it's only philosophy, the most important
thing is that there is a way to get the irq number :)

Thanks for your response.

Regards.

Marco