XUPV2P + EDK 9.1 + Linux 2.4

Juliana Su js084 at bucknell.edu
Fri Dec 12 13:24:16 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm relatively new to the XUPV2P. Up until about a month ago, I had been
working with an ML310. Anyway, I noticed the “XUPV2P update to kernel
2.6 fails” thread and saw that quite a few people have been successful
with the XUPV2P; I was hoping that those of you who have been successful
with the XUPV2P could help me out.

First some background...

I am using EDK 9.1, EDK 10.1, the MontaVista Linux 2.4 kernel
(linuxppc_2_4_devel), and a 256 MB DDR DIMM. I was able to get a basic
system (XPS UART16550, DDR SDRAM - MPMC, XPS SYSACE, Linux 2.4) made in
EDK 10.1 to work. However, I have not had any success getting a similar
system (UART16550, DDR_SDRAM_32Mx64 - PLB DDR, OPB SYSACE, Linux 2.4)
built in EDK 9.1 to work. The issue is that, when I turn on the board,
nothing shows up in minicom. I checked the contents of the log_buf; it
was filled with junk.

My goal is a system with SysACE support, Ethernet, and the AC-97 audio
CODEC that can mount a hard drive. It seems like it would be easier to
create this system using EDK 9.1 than EDK 10.1. Right now, though, just
getting a basic system to work using EDK 9.1 would be great.

For those of you who have been successful with the XUPV2P, what
configurations in the EDK 9.1 Base System Builder Wizard and what Linux
kernel worked for you? Any suggestions as to why I might not be getting
any output? Would it be possible for me to use Linux 2.6 or should I
stick with Linux 2.4? (I feel like Linux 2.4 would be better, but I
thought I would ask anyway.) Also, are there any known issues with EDK
9.1 and the XUPV2P? I vaguely remember reading about memory issues
somewhere, but I can’t remember if they were related to EDK 9.1, EDK
10.1, or both.

Let me know if I should provide any additional information. Thanks!

-Juliana