mmap and ppc460gt

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Wed Aug 27 13:24:18 EST 2008

 > I don't seem to be able to port this to ppc460gt: on this architecture
 > the PCI register space can be mapped only to 36 bit address ranges
 > with nonzero top nibbles. But mmap()  (at least the one I have in
 > 2.6.25)  accepts only 32 bit values for addresses, hence there is no
 > way to map PCI space into user space.

In the past I've been able to use mmap64() on ppc440 to get at 36-bit
addresses.  As far as I know this should still work.

Also you should be able to get at the BAR of a PCI device by using
mmap() on a resource file under /sys/devices, eg something like
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:04.0/0000:0b:00.0/resource0
(where the bus numbers obviously depend on your system and the resource
number depends on what BAR your device has registers in)

 - R.