How to use ramdisk on the ml300?

Jens Wirth jewirth at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 14 23:54:38 EST 2008

Hi

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:44 PM, wangyanlong <killyouatonce at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi JensWirth,
>    Thanks  for your reply :). I have some questions here.
>    (1)You told me "make simpleImage.virtex405-ml300",i only know "make
> zImage" and "make zImage.initrd" ,what it is this command mean???

It's a relatively new target in the arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile which
wraps your compressed kernel and bootcode together with a device tree
blob. A device tree blob is created using a device tree source (dts).

>    (2)What is dts ? I don't know what is this :(

A device tree source is plain text. Look inside arch/powerpc/boot/dts.
A device tree is essential if you want to boot an ARCH=powerpc
Linux-Kernel. Read this:
http://ols.fedoraproject.org/OLS/Reprints-2008/likely2-reprint.pdf

I supposed you were using 2.6.26 or 2.6.27-rcX

Regards
Jens