How to use ramdisk on the ml300?

Jens Wirth jewirth at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:04:51 EST 2008

Hi Yanlong,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:08 AM, yanlong wang <killyouatonce at gmail.com> wrote:
>      If i want use ramdisk on the ml300 , i must use u-boot in my system ?
>     many thanks

I suppose you want to use an initial ram filesystem as
rootfs to boot your system?

You have to point CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="" to a cpio
archive or a directory which contains your rootfs. If
you use a directory structure then you should set your
uid/gid to make the build process convert the owner
to root:

# if your uid/gid is 500:
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_ROOT_UID=500
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_ROOT_GID=500

Don't forget to set CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y to be able
to use a ramdisk at all.

I'm also using the ml300 board and I create my kernel
with: make simpleImage.virtex405-ml300

My dts is arch/powerpc/boot/dts/virtex405-ml300.dts.
There is no kernel boot command line needed to use
the initramfs in my case (I only set up my console
to the uart). Just download the image
arch/powerpc/boot/simpleImage.virtex405-ml300.elf
with xmd to your ml300 and run it.

I hope this works for you.

Regards
Jens