ml507 initrd problem

Stu Bershtein sbershtein at Quantum3D.com
Wed Aug 13 09:28:06 EST 2008

I have been trying to boot linux on an ml507 board for a few days now.
I am using xilinx's linux-2.6-xlnx.git kernel.  The rootfs is home
rolled.  I have had experience with NFS mounted root filesystems (not an
option here), cramfs, and romfs but have never tried running root out of
a ramdisk.  Because of that I am quite sure I have dorked this up.  Any
help will be appreciated!  I have added printk's in the kernel at
do_sys_open to get an idea what is going on.  Here is a snip of the boot
output:

.

Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,9600 ip=on init=/linuxrc
root=/dev/ram rw ram disk_size=9000

.

Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing
disabled 83e00000.serial: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x83e00003 (irq = 16) is a
16550A

.

eth0: XLlTemac: Send Threshold = 0, Receive Threshold = 0

eth0: XLlTemac: Send Wait bound = 0, Receive Wait bound = 0

IP-Config: Incomplete network configuration information.

open /dev/ram

fd 0

open /initrd.image

fd 1

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

Freeing unused kernel memory: 144k init

open /dev/console

fd 0

code 10000000 - 1019854c, data 10195000 - 1019854c, stack bf85df00

open /dev/null

fd 3

open /etc/inittab

fd 3

And it gets very quiet at that point.  The kernel is still running in
ppc44x_idle.  Does this suggest anything to anyone?  I'll be more than
happy to send or describe any config files to any one who might take
pity.

Thanks,

Stu