suffisant space for U-Boot, Linux and an initrd image ? (4MB SDRAM)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Aug 5 08:59:57 EST 2008

In message <789365.58211.qm at web27401.mail.ukl.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I would like to know if this is possible to port U-Boot, Linux and an initrd image on a board with 4MB of SDRAM ?

In Theory it may be possible, but just for very tiny demo
applications. Probably not for a useful device.

> When Linux try to boot, there is this line on the terminal :
> "Memory : 2036k available (1036k kernel code, 256k data, 80k init, 0k highmem)"
> So I have 2036k memory available for my initrd image but I don't know if this is suffisant.

Note that a ramdisk is NOT an efficient way to use memory. See fro
example http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/RootFileSystemSelection
which shows that for example a cramfs image is not only faster to boot
but also needs less RAM.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Keep your head and your heart going in the right  direction  and  you
will not have to worry about your feet.