Creating a wrapped zImage.initrd -- can't start the trampoline?

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Aug 5 07:30:07 EST 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 11:25 -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
>> Take a look at Documentation/powerpc/bootwrapper.txt
>> You probably want the 'simpleImage.%' target.  It also binds in a copy
>> of the device tree blob.
>
> Hm.  I'm using 2.6.25.14 and I don't see any bootwrapper.txt file in
> Documentation/powerpc (or anywhere else).  I also can't see any target
> simpleImage in any makefile.  Is this something new in 2.6.26?  :-(
>
> Any help for folks still using 2.6.25?

It's new in .26, but it is relevant for .25 also.

Here's a link to it:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/powerpc/bootwrapper.txt;h=d60fced5e1cc69169d9bbf1b49faacb41ef8db9c;hb=8f616cd5249e03c9e1b371623d85e76d4b86bbc1

> I think I need some basic instruction on how bootloaders etc. work, with
> a concentration on embedded PPC if possible.  Anyone have any pointers
> that would be worth investigating?

The document above should help.
Documentation/powerpc/booting-without-of.txt has some useful
information also.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.