[U-Boot-Users] AMCC PPC440EPx/sequoia stability question...

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Apr 23 22:49:24 EST 2008

On Wednesday 23 April 2008, Dave Littell wrote:
> I'm working on an AMCC PPC440EPx-based platform that's similar to the
> Sequoia.  The board runs pretty well, but occasionally takes exceptions
> both in U-Boot and while running Linux.  The exceptions vary from
> Illegal Instructions to FP Unavailable to FP Unimplemented to ITLB and
> DTLB Errors, to DSI, etc., which made us believe there's a problem with
> SDRAM.

Yes, this is my first idea too. Almost every time such "random" errors are
seen, SDRAM setup/initialization is the cause for it.

> Sometimes there are simple hard lockups from which even the JTAG
> can't regain control.  However, the SDRAM physical/electrical and DDR
> Controller configurations have been investigated in detail (and some
> corrections made) with no resulting improvement in the exception behavior.

Is the SDRAM termination similar to the one used on Sequoia too? Are you using
soldered chips and not DIMM modules? Is ECC available?

> We see problems primarily at 667 MHz but have noted some issues at 533
> MHz as well.  Some boards seem particularly susceptible to this while
> others rarely (if ever) exhibit the problem.
>
> At this point all possibilities are on the table and I'm looking for any
> input from anyone with experience (good, bad, or whatever) with this
> processor and/or designs similar to the Sequoia.

If you scan the U-Boot mailing list for 440EPx/Denali DDR2 problems, you will
most likely find some references.

Please note that I recently introduced a CFG_MEM_TOP_HIDE option for the
440EPx CHIP 11 errata. I suggest you take a look at this too and see if this
changes your behavior.

Best regards,
Stefan

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de