eldk and usb to serial converters

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Tue Apr 22 00:59:25 EST 2008

Hi Daniel,

> I'm currently trying to compile a kernel for an AMCC440EP board within an eldk
> environment. We've got a FTDI usb2serial converter we need to connect to the
> board. Now I've compiled a kernel on a gentoo machine for this device and had
> no problems. With this board, the kernel recognizes the device fine:
>
> ftdi_sio 1-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
> usb 1-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: v1.4.3:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver
>
> but udev doesn't actually make the ttyUSB0 node. If anyone knows what may have
> caused the problem and how to fix it, it'd be much appreciated.

Maybe udev isn't running at all?  The ELDKs including udev disable it
per default (what version are you using?).  Embedded systeme like to
have static kernel configurations presenting no surprises at runtime...

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Programming X-Windows is like trying to find the square root of pi
using roman numerals.