MVL Linux on MPC8560 Booting goes into infinite loop in early_init memset_io ( )

David Baird dhbaird at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 05:50:04 EST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Scott Wood <scottwood at freescale.com> wrote:
>  BTW, it's generally bad form to post the same question repeatedly.  If you
> have new information regarding your problem, just post a followup in the
> same thread containing the new information.

Agreed!  I was about to respond to your new post, and then I
discovered this nearly identical slightly older post.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Deepak Gaur <gaur.deepak at gmail.com> wrote:
> While booting MVL linux on MPC8560 based board the kernel goes into a
> infinite loop in setup.c

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but those symbols inside the
BSS should only be variables (not functions....) which are initialized
to zero.  The whole reason for BSS is to initialize variables to a
0/null value.

Now, about the infinite loop.  Can you check to see if perhaps you are
getting an exception?

I have no experience with the MPC8560, but I've seen a couple problems
that occur involving memset_io.  What happens is that a TLB miss
exception occurs when the CPU gets inside of memset_io.  Do you have
the ability to check that with a debugger (by setting breakpoints at
exceptions, such as the data and instruction TLB miss exceptions) to
see if you are getting exceptions?