EBC peripheral, access causing Machine Check

Dave Cogley dcogley at uslinc.com
Tue Sep 25 05:19:01 EST 2007

Good Afternoon,

I am using an AMCC 440EPx processor with an FPGA peripheral attached to the
EBC.  I am doing the entire bank configuration in the u-boot boot loader
before Linux is loaded.  I can directly read and write registers using
memory read and write (md, nm) within area 0xC0000000 to 0xC000FFFF direct
memory I/O within the context of u-boot without any faults.  When I attempt
to access any register in area 0xC000000 within the context of my Linux
device driver I get a Machine Check fault (attached text) which appears to
be an access permission violation.  I am currently running the DENX ELDK
2.6.19.2 platform that was specific to the "Sequoia" platform.

I have configured the EBC access permissions and control resisters as
follows for bank 1:

PB1CR: 0xC003C000

PB1AP: 0x80040380

Dave Cogley