Kernel 2.6 and INITRAMFS in one file booting problem on ml403

Mirek23 miroslaw.dach at psi.ch
Fri Sep 21 23:08:24 EST 2007

I have sorted out partially my problem. The thing was that in the command
line which was passed from
u-boot to the kernel I have put root=/dev/ram what refers to the old
approach for the ramfs. In my case I use a new approach which does not need
the ram disk? (I guess and I have reduced it to 4 MB) and in the command
line I put somthing like: rdinit=/sbin/init.

When I have changed that all started somehow to work but unfortunately it
does not always work.
My observation is that I am able to boot linux kernel which contains
initramfs let say once per 2-3 tries.

I do not understand this behavior. I have tried many various things but I
came to the point that some times linux kernel boots properly or it does not
boot at all.

Below I enclose the output from the console:

U-Boot 1.2.0 (Sep 21 2007 - 14:26:11)

### No HW ID - assuming Avnet Virtex-4
DRAM:  32 MB
Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 02000000
Reserving 152k for U-Boot at: 01fd9000
Reserving 256k for malloc() at: 01f99000
Reserving 120 Bytes for Board Info at: 01f98f88
Reserving 48 Bytes for Global Data at: 01f98f58
Stack Pointer at: 01f98f38
New Stack Pointer is: 01f98f38
Now running in RAM - U-Boot at: 01fd9000
FLASH: flash detect cfi

## Booting image at 01300000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.23-rc2
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    6983268 Bytes =  6.7 MB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
## Current stack ends at 0x01F986B8 => set upper limit to 0x00800000
## cmdline at 0x007FFF00 ... 0x007FFF7D
bd address  = 0x01F98F88
memstart    = 0x00000000
memsize     = 0x02000000
flashstart  = 0xFF000000
flashsize   = 0x00800000
flashoffset = 0x00000000
sramstart   = 0x00000000
sramsize    = 0x00000000
bootflags   = 0x00000031
procfreq    =    100 MHz
plb_busfreq =    100 MHz
ethaddr     = 00:50:C2:46:D8:01
IP addr     = 129.129.144.82
baudrate    =   9600 bps
No initrd
## Transferring control to Linux (at address 00000000) ...

After that it hangs.
I have tried to see what is in the memory location under __log_buf
but it was not more than: kernel panic .. not syncing .. signal 4 ...

Does somody has a clue what could be wrong?

Best Regards

Mirek