No subject

- Reyneke reynekejunk at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 20 20:04:38 EST 2007

>>Where did you get your kernel from?  2.6.19 doesn't have any 440EPx support in it

Linux kernel is from DENX, and yes it has full 440EPx support.

>> In you statement, initialise correctly (i.e. receive and transmit), did you use like ping or ftp to do it?
>> What do you mean by the word initialise?

 I think the best response will be to provide a short example via u-boot output.

The board has just booted up. Eth1 is connected and has a 1Gb link (as per PHY and connected switch LEDS). Eth0 is NOT cabled.

ver=U-Boot 1.2.0 (Sep 18 2007 - 15:51:19)

=> setenv netdev eth1

=> setenv ethact ppc_4xx_eth1

=> ping 10.1.12.90

Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete... done

ENET Speed is 1000 Mbps - FULL duplex connection

Using ppc_4xx_eth1 device

ping failed; host 10.1.12.90 is not alive

<At this point, we plug in a Ethernet cable into eth0 and wait for link status>

=> ping 10.1.12.90

ENET Speed is 1000 Mbps - FULL duplex connection

Using ppc_4xx_eth1 device

host 10.1.12.90 is alive

=>

At this point, the Eth0 link can be removed. Eth1 will from now send and receive as expected.

So, it looks like some kind of initialisation issue. What we would like to know is whether anyone else have come across a similar problem.

Other interesting point is that we tried the same test on a AMCC Sequoia (same type of board, different PHYs). And it worked fine. So it suggest that it is ether something we are doing wrong in our board initialisation, or it's the EMAC - PHY combination.