Eth1 init and link status

- Reyneke reynekejunk at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 23:54:35 EST 2007

HI,

We've run into a bit of an odd problem and we are not sure where to go and
look for the cause.

We have some 440EPx based hardware with two GIG-Ethernet ports using RGMII
and 2x ET1011C PHY's. Problem is that eth1 will only initialise correctly
(i.e. receive and transmit) if eth0 has a link. Eth0 always work OK,
regardless of eth1 status. Eth1 will work OK if eth0 has a link (i.e.
initialised) at time of setup. Once initialised, eth0 status is irrelevant.
All this is during Linux boot process.

Any ideas?

We can access PHY registers via u-boot (mii commands). Same 1Gig link speed
is used on both ports. Linux kernel is 2.6.19.

Regards
   Jan Reyneke