PCI target implementation on AMCC PPC CPUs

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Wed Sep 12 17:17:29 EST 2007

Hi David,

I must admit, that the AMCC PowerPC's PCI interrupt capabilities could
be better:-) In both directions the host CPU has to do PCI
configuration cycles either to generate or acknowledge an interrupt.
The later is problematic for some OS coming from Redmond: you
have to do pci configuration cycles from interrupt level - and
these OS do not 'like' that.

In later designs and where possible we also switched to alternative
interrupt mechanisms (GPIO for target to host and gated flags in FPGA
registers for the other direction). Multiple interrupt sources
are identified by messages that are written to the other sides
memory.

I think we should stop this discussion because its a little bit
off-topic on this list.

Matthias