Problems enabling NTP on ELDK

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 6 04:48:27 EST 2007

In message <46DE9322.7080901 at dutchspace.nl> you wrote:

> I tried enabling NTP on my embedded machine (using ELDK 4.1, ppc_85xx,
> kernel version 2.6.14 with Xenomai 2.3.2). After I did that I noticed
> that ksoftirqd/0 suddenly took almost all processor time (> 95%). What
> is causing this? Is there a way around this, or is this something that
> does not cause any problems?

You probably have some poroblems in your kernel port - check the  RTC
driver  and  related  modules like I2C etc. Of course this depends on
the NTP configuration you use, but the only kernel interaction I  can
think  of  that  could cause this is if you interact with the RTC. [I
guess that normal network traffic is working fine on your board.]

BTW: ELDK 4.1 comes with a 2.6.19.2  kernel  -  is  there  a  special
reason that you use such an obsoletel kernel tree?

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Bankers do it with interest (penalty for early withdrawal).