Breakpoint is not hitting for Kernel Debugging

Bill F list.mail.for.bill at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 14:07:10 EST 2007

On 9/4/07, dnl <ssaravanan at mail2web.com> wrote:
>  I enabled the following options in Kernel for kernel Debugging,
> CONFIG_BDI_SWITCH=y CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y under kernel hacking and MMU XALT in
> BDI config file. After uboot initialization I fixed break point at
> start_kernel(0xc02784bc), and then I booted the kernel. Without breaking  at
> start_kernel, it came to login prompt. Please find attached config file with
> this mail. Could anybody help me to solve this problem?

Hi Saravanan,
Try adding this line to your BDI config to clear/invalidate the page
table base address so that the MMU translation works before the MMU
has been initialised.

  ;; Following is to clear the page table base address
  WM32    0x000000f0      0x00000000

Make sure that you reload the BDI config, I use the  the BDI "BOOT"
command to do this.

Are you obtaining the start_kernel address from your kernel System.map
file and setting the breakpoint using the BDI command "BI 0xc02784bc"
or are you using a gdb debugger frontend ?

Bill