powerpc 440 monitor program

Leonid Leonid at a-k-a.net
Sat Oct 20 01:51:12 EST 2007

In order to achieve your goal you must do at least following things:

1) enable FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE option in the kernel.
2) Upon reboot make getty for the monitor terminal device (could be
tty1, but you must check).

You may add line to your inittab file

tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

Speed parameter is irrelevant and may not be needed for your getty
version.

3) To see the penguin logo you must also enable one of BOOT_LOGO defines
in kernel.

Of course I assume that framebuffer is working in your system. You may
try to check it by typing "cat /dev/zero > /dev/fb0". Terminal must be
cleaned then.

You also can try "dirty" hack to ensure framebuffer functionality. Type:

sh > /dev/tty1 2>&1 < /dev/tty1

You must get prompt on monitor (your serial will hang) and if you have
working (USB?) keyboard, you will be able to use monitor.

Thanks,

Leonid.