Linux booting problem on Xilinx ppc

aauer1 aauer1 at gmx.at
Wed Oct 17 22:09:36 EST 2007

Hello.

Grant Likely-2 wrote:

> On 10/16/07, aauer1 <aauer1 at gmx.at> wrote:
>>
>> The on-chip memories are disabled. Only the BRAM is enabled. Now, we also
>> use
>> the ELDK 4.1 from Denx and the included cross compiler. The result is the
>> same... the Kernel stops at "Now booting the kernel". Now, we also have
>> an
>> USB JTAG cable. So, we can debug the memory.
>> Probably, anyone has another idea.
>
> There are two common reasons for this behaviour:
> 1. kernel crashes before the console is configured
> 2. the console is not configured correctly.
>
> In both cases; finding a way to look at __log_buf is the fastest way
> to figure out what is going on.

I was able to look at the __log_buf variable with the JTAG cable. So, I
recognized that the kernel doesn't halt after the "No booting the kernel"
message. There are many output messages in the __log_buf variable until it
stops at with a "Kernel panic" because the rootfs is not found (but this is
the minor problem).
Now, I know that the kernel boots but I don't get an output with my Xilinx
UartLite module. Are there some kernel modules which must be activated??
Btw. I have used the Linux-2.6-virtex kernel from
http://git.secretlab.ca/git/ and another Kernel (2.6.23 from kernel.org) -
both with the same result.

Thanks a lot,
Andreas