Xilinx devicetrees

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Nov 27 09:09:06 EST 2007

On 11/26/07, Stephen Neuendorffer <stephen.neuendorffer at xilinx.com> wrote:

> [...]

I disagree.  I'm not disputing that version registers are valuable.
But I *am* disputing their value for device detection.  It may work in
your specific case of devices always in certain locations, but it does
not help the general case where devices can be instantiated anywhere
in the 4GB address space.

> It sounds like the real problem that you have is that even if you get
> device trees working for Linux, you still have the same problem for GHS,
> so from your perspective "device trees don't help"

In embedded power.org land, device trees are becoming the recommended
method for describing platform configuration for all embedded powerpc
software.  Not just Linux.  So from that perspective device trees
might help.

Cheers,
g.

--