Xilinx devicetrees

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasystems.com
Tue Nov 27 08:36:53 EST 2007

Stephen Neuendorffer wrote:
> In any event, why do you do this rather than just run out of the flash (or a ram copy of the flash?)

    This is not literally true, but  the parameters are nearly the same
- pretend we are using NAND flash  and storing executables as elf files.

    We can not run from flash because:
       The code has not been relocated
       the flash is not persistent
    We do load the flash/elf file into DRAM  dealing with elf issues
along the way and then execute it.
    We can do something similar for devicetrees, actually just passing
Linux the offset from the begining of flash to the devicetree would be
sufficient. Or if finding the devicetree inside the bitsstream can be
accomplished fairly simply, just passing the offset of the bit file.

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein