initramfs and busybox kernel oops

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at picocomputing.net
Tue Nov 27 06:14:43 EST 2007

fabien wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get busybox working on my custom board mpc855t and linux
> kernel 2.6.19 (from eldk 4.1 uclibc). I've built an initramfs that i
> link directly in kernel. To verify whether the kernel is able to lauch
> the init process i've compiled a small hello world program. But no
> when i try with busybox 1.8.1 staticaly linked i got an Oops error
> kernel access to bad area. I don't know why the former work fine but
> no the latter.
> If someone have some ideas for where to look for ?
>
> In my initramfs there is :
> in /dev :
> crw-r--r--   1 root   root   5, 1 nov 22 13:32 console
> crw-rw-rw-   1 root   root   1, 3 nov 26 10:10 null
> crw-------   1 root   root   4, 1 nov 26 10:11 tty1
> in /bin :
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root        7 nov 26 10:17 ash -> busybox*
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root   root   793804 nov 26 13:57 busybox*
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root        7 nov 26 10:17 cat -> busybox*
> (and others links)
> My init script file (/init) :
> #!/bin/sh
> /bin/ash

It took me a while to get initramfs running. But after I did I have been
very happy with it.

It is possible you need more in /dev.
My initramfs has much more than yours - though it is still quite small.
I sort of stole it from somewhere. I think I took an initrd from
somewhere expanded it an culled out what iI did not want.
Busybox is still the bulk by volume, but that got me all the /dev /etc/
... stuff I needed

You can pull mine from http://www.picocomputing.net/files/initramfs/