The question about the high memory support on MPC8360?

vijay baskar cn.vijaibaskar at gdatech.co.in
Mon Nov 26 17:11:38 EST 2007

Hi friends,

Kernel virtual space is divided into 3 different zones namely ZONE_DMA,
ZONE_NORMAL, ZONE_HIGHMEM.Remember that the kernel follows the 3GB/1GB
split ie 3 GB for user space and 1  GB for kernel space. Since your ram
is 1 GB, 896 MB will be mapped one to one with the kernel virtual space.
This one to one mapping will be done in the ZONE_NORMAL and ZONE_DMA of
kernel virtual space.Remaining 128 MB of kernel virtual address space
will be used for setting up kernel  data structures and for ioremaps and
vmallocs that  the kernel will need to perform during boot up.  If  u
configure high memory this 128 MB will be used for accessing unmapped
memory regions in the ram and there wont be sufficient  virtual
addresses for ioremaps and vmallocs. Thats why your kernel did not boot
when high mem is configured.

                   Since u want to have 1 GB of ram an alternative to
this is that u can try 2 GB/ 2 GB split which is configurable ie 2 GB
for user space and 2 GB for kernel space in your kernel.

Thanks and Regards,
vijai