85xx Device tree problems: e0024520:02 not found

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Thu Nov 15 06:37:23 EST 2007

Hello, Robert!

robert lazarski schrieb:
 > On Nov 13, 2007 3:33 PM, Clemens Koller <clemens.koller at anagramm.de> wrote:
 >> robert lazarski schrieb:
 >>  > Hi all,
 >>  >
 >>  > I'm trying to bring up a new 8548 board on 2.6.23.1 . When booting,
 >>  > Some times I can get as far mounting over nfs. However, it gets stuck
 >>  > here:
 >>  >
 >>  > NET: Registered protocol family 1
 >>  > NET: Registered protocol family 17
 >>  > e0024520:02 not found
 >>  > eth2: Could not attach to PHY
 >>  > IP-Config: Failed to open eth2
 >>  > IP-Config: Device `eth2' not found.
 >>
 >> As already written in the u-boot-users list,
 >> you could give the pauilis.git tree a try.
 >>
 >> There have been recently (last month) several
 >> PHY related changes. 2.6.23.1 seems to be too
 >> "old".
 >>

 > I'm now running pauilis.git and 2.6.24rc2, along with a new custom
 > board. I still can't attach to the phy though. I know the phy works
 > because it works fine in u-boot. Clemens, IIRC you are using the
 > 88e1111 - is that with the gianfar driver? I'm having problems getting
 > soft reboot to work with pauilis.git from some reason so debugging is
 > slow going - might someone have some hints?

I was busy all day long with some other broken hardware stuff.

As I told you yesterday, I was able to boot the mpc8540ads_defconfig
paulus.git tree. I was just able to boot it to see boot messages, where
I stopped yesterday ('cause time squeezes all men under it's foot like a bug).

Today I finished my kernel config and booted up my distro but...
klump... network doesn't work either. Maybe I only got some PHY
addresses wrong (I don't remember).
The 88e1111 works fine, in u-boot, too.

So, we might sit in the same boat again...
I am about to start more debugging...
My current Kernel config is attached.

Any hints are welcome - of course.

Regards,