(beginner) Kernel fail during local_irq_enable()

Siva Prasad sprasad at bivio.net
Wed Nov 14 07:46:14 EST 2007

Hi,

Some thing similar happened for me before. After I set the IRQ enable
bits, it resulted in an exception. After analyzing the exception and
SRR1 bits set, I was able to take care of it.

Other reason can be...
Immediately after you enable interrupts, any interrupt (which are
already enabled) can cause the system to take a different path of
servicing those interrupts. If some thing happens in that service
routine, you are in for a surprise.

If you have a JTAG emulator, after system hangs, just halt it and see
where it is executing. That may give a clue of what might have happened.
Or, you can look at the stack, based on the register contents, to see
the call back (difficult, but possible).

Good Luck.

- Siva