inflate returned FFFFFFFB

Alan Nishioka alan at nishioka.com
Wed Nov 14 05:31:25 EST 2007

After adding files to initramfs, I get the following error:
Uncompressing Linux...inflate returned FFFFFFFB

This is caused by zlib_inflate returning -5 or Z_BUF_ERROR.

The attached patch fixes this problem for me.
It is also available at
http://www.nishioka.com/misc/ppc-gunzip.patch

It probably also fixes the problem at
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-embedded/2006-August/023851.html
and only 15 months too late.

It moves the link/load address higher in memory and tells gunzip it has
more space to uncompress.
You need to change the address in .config

make menuconfig
Advanced setup -->
[*] Prompt for advanced configuration options
[*]   Set the boot link/load address
(0x00800000) Link/load address for booting

This is my first post to this list.
Please tell me if I am missing anything.

Alan Nishioka
alan at nishioka.com