small bootloader that passes arguments

khollan khollan at daktronics.com
Tue Nov 13 06:54:19 EST 2007

Hi,

I would like to create a small bootloader that is able to pass kernel
arguments and boot a linux kernel.  Im using a xilinx PPC, and have already
booted a working kernel with a Xilinx provided XMD bootloader over USB.  My
main question is how does a bootloader pass these arguments to the kernel
before booting it?  Most specifically the root=/dev/xsa1 command so I can
tell it to either boot from compact flash or NFS.

I really don't want to try and port U-boot since I don't need the bells and
whistles and I want it to fit in the BRAM of the FPGA so it will load when I
load the hardware configuration.