PCI speed

Johan Borkhuis j.borkhuis at dutchspace.nl
Wed Nov 7 18:23:16 EST 2007

Hello,

I an having some throughput problems with my PCI. I am using a MVME3100
board with on board PMC slots. I use a card with a large amount of
memory on board (64 MB Reflective Memory card) and try to transfer data
from the card to main memory using the DMA engine on the card.

When using standard memcpy I get a throughput of around 17 MB/s. When I
use the DMA engine on the PCI card it improves to around 30 MB/s, but
when I run the same test on an Intel machine the memcpy is the same, but
the DMA increases to 200 MB/s. Is there some configuration that we can
change to improve the speed on the PPC board?

I use the same driver code and the same test application on both platforms.

Kind regards,
    Johan Borkhuis