Problem replacing a Samsung K9F1208U0M NAND flash chip with ST NAND512W3A

Santanu Sen sensantanu_82 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 01:34:50 EST 2007

Facing some trouble replacing a SAMSUNG K9F1208U0M
with an ST NAND512W3A. I know it is criminal, but we
are still using the 2.4 kernel. The excuse is, it is
impossible to port all our code/drivers to 2.6 within
the project deadline.

Here is the story. We could successfully install JFFS2
on a Samsung  K9F1208U0M NAND chip mounted on a board
running linux-2.4.20 on a ppc852 processor. But when
we replaced the Samsung chip with an ST NAND512W3A,
creating a JFFS2 partition will no longer work. Raw
read/write to the device is fine. We could even copy a
squashfs image to one of the partitions and mount it
without trouble. But whenever we create a JFFS2
partition, mount it, create a file on it, unmount it
and mount it again the file goes missing. Attaching a
screen-shot of the entire procedure. Note that, the
same steps work fine with Samsung chips. Also, neither
"eraseall" nor "eraseall --jffs2" is of much help in
case of ST. We found some document on the ST site
stating what to do to replace a Samsung chip with an
ST one. The chips are claimed to be equivalent except
that Samsung supports some additional multi-plane
commands. But we could not see those commands being
used anywhere in the mtd code.

Are there anything special to be done for ST NAND
chips?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Santanu

NB: Posting this message here afetr several
unsuccessful attempts to post it on the "jffs2-dev"
mailing list.