GDB bdi2000 and mpc85xx

Stuart Hodgson stuart at quadrics.com
Sat Nov 3 04:17:48 EST 2007

Hi,

I am attempting to get Kernel debugging working on our mpc8541 based
board via a BDI2000. The various components in use are

kernel - 2.6.19.2
BDI firmware - 1.08
U-Boot - 1.2.0
ppc_85xx-gdb - from eldk4.1 (6.3.0.0-1.21_3rh)

Kernel is configured with `-g` in CFLAGS and not with CONFIG_BDI_SWITCH,
from the information I have read around the subject this seem to be
correct. I also have `MMU  XLAT`, and `PTBASE 0xF0` set in by BDI
configuration file. The default value for XLAT of `0xc0000000` matches
the kernel our kernel config.

Steps that I done so far

1. Power on BDI
2. Power on the board
3. BDI> reset run
4. Enter u-boot environment to stop linux booting immediately.
5. BDI> HALT
6. BDI> BREAK HARD
7. BDI> BI 0xc025a51c   (this is the address of start_kernel for my build)
8. BDI> GO
9. From U-boot prompt `bootm`, kernel is copied from flash and loading
begins
10. Kernel does not halt at start_kernel and continues to the login

If I attempt to break at an address later in the boot sequence, such as
qmx19_ata_input_data (this is the area that I am trying to investigate)
I get

- TARGET: core #0 has entered debug mode

So from here I attempt to connect to the BDI from gdb

linux> cd ~/linux-2.6.19.2
linux> ppc_85xx-gdb vmlimux

"
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.21_3rh)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-redhat-linux --target=ppc-linux".
The target architecture is set automatically (currently powerpc:603)
"

I noticed here that the last line does not match the e500 core I am
using, but there does not seem to a change if I change this using `set
architecture powerpc:e500`

(gdb) tar rem <bdi_ip>:2001
Remote debugging using <bdi_ip>:2001
0x00000000 in ?? ()

What I don't understand here is why 0x00000000 is shown as the address,
further on the BDI the following error is shown then the connection is made

"
*** MMU: address translation for 0x00000000 failed
*** MMU: address translation for 0xFFFFFFFC failed
*** MMU: address translation for 0x00000000 failed
*** MMU: address translation for 0xFFFFFFFC failed
"

If I then clear the breakpoint from the BDI

BDI> CI

I can then from gdb set breakpoints

(gdb) b qmx19_ata_input_data
Breakpoint 1 at 0xc014ecb4: file drivers/ide/ppc/qmx19-ide.c, line 139.
(gdb) c
Continuing.

And all seems well with resolving the symbol names and and source files.
When the breakpoint is hit next

"
Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
#1  0x00000000 in ?? ()
"

But as expected I can not do any debugging since the address's are not
being resolved by GDB/BDI. Trying to single step now results in gdb showing

(gdb) s
Cannot find bounds of current function

and BDI showing
*** MMU: address translation for 0x00000000 failed
*** MMU: address translation for 0xFFFFFFFC failed

So my problem would seem to be with address translation. If I ask the
BDI to translate the address for me it seems fine though

BDI> PHYS 0xc014ecb4
PHYS = 0x0_0014ecb4

So in summary is seem to me that there is a problem with the address
translation to from BDI GDB, most likely the result of a missing
configuration parameter or setting. I should also add that there there
is not an inherent problem with the build of Linux as it boots fine and
is operational but I would like to step though our CF card driver when
the kernel is loading.

I have seen a couple of similar questions asked regarding the mpc85xx
series but not any answers that have shed any light, by all accounts the
steps I have done would seem to just work for other people, such as the
BDI manual.

Does anyone have some insights into this.

thanks

Stuart Hodgson