pcimsg patch from eons ago

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed May 30 04:25:22 EST 2007

On 5/29/07, David Hawkins <dwh at ovro.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Hey Grant,
>
> TCP/IP over PCI is also something I want to look into.
> I'll have about 8 compact PCI crates, with 15 MPC8349E boards
> in each that I will boot with U-Boot, and then TFTP a kernel,
> and then NFS mounted filesystem on. I'll put ethernet on
> the front-panels for the prototype boards, but ideally
> I want TCP/IP over PCI for the final system.
>
> The board support package for the Freescale MPC8349E-MDS-PB
> has some sort of support for this, but I haven't had a look
> at the code yet.

Cool,

I'm not actually going to be using PCI on this project, but it is a
shared memory system, and so I expect the bulk of the protocol could
be similar.  The system I'm working on consists of a DSP and an
MPC8349 connected via 128K of shared ram.  I need to put together a
low level protocol which will support multiple interfaces on top of
it, and I figured that the old IP-over-PCI would be good place to
start.  I need to layer console and filesystem interfaces on top to
begin with, and then additional interfaces as the product matures.

> I'm pretty sure Dan Malek had written something similar for
> TCP/IP over RapidIO. Take a look in the kernel source,
> I forget the name ... I have some notes around here somewhere ...

Hmm, yes I hadn't thought of looking at RapidIO.  If the low level
protocol was a straight forward message passing interface, then the
stuff on top could potentially be the same.

> I'm working on hardware at the moment, so my software
> brain cells are lying dormant. Let me know if you want
> me to dig up the Freescale stuff and I'll send it to you,
> or send you a link to a copy of the ISO. Downloading the
> BSP from Freescale's site is a nightmare. I can also
> plug the MDS board in as a peripheral and fire up their
> TCP/IP over PCI and see what works.

Yes, please send me whatever you have.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.