MPC8560 Gianfar driver hangs after soft reboot

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Tue May 29 21:41:57 EST 2007

Hello, Bill!

Bill Farrow schrieb:
> On 25 May 2007 Clemens Koller wrote:
>> Bill Farrow schrieb:
>>> The Gianfar driver is hanging during boot-up after a soft
>> reboot.  It works fine when the board is power cycled.
>>> Any hints on where to look further on this issue?
>> I have had some rare issues with PHY initialization on the
>> PM854 with the u-boot-1.2.0 not being able to download something via
>> TFTP. There is an entry somewhere in the U-Boot wiki (I think) that
>> the TQM8540 board can have some issues...
>> well the boards are quite similar.
>> Pushing the reset button (Never needed to power that off) solves the
>> issue.
>
> We have found a work around for this problem: If the network interfaces
> are disabled before doing a soft reboot then everything works properly.
> We are using the ramdisk from the ELDK 4.1 and are no rc scripts for
> busybox to call to shutdown the network interfaces before rebooting.  We
> will just add our own script to do this when rebooting.

Something like:

          /sbin/ip route del default
          /sbin/ip link set eth0 down
          /sbin/ip addr del 192.168.1.200/24 dev eth0
(or something similar using the ifconfig <foo>)

Or how do you define to "shutdown the network interfaces"?

I guess I am lucky that I always had rc scripts running on my system.
(native distribution on harddisk, based on http://crux.nu )

> Agreed. I did look at some future kernel versions to see what changes
> had been made to the gianfar source code, but your right, we should try
> some out on the actual hardware.

Yup, there were lots of changes, also in the PHY/MII interface.

> We are using the Microsys carrier board with the PM856 module and has
> been quite stable.

Same over here. It's good stuff!

Best greets,
--