How can I get a ramdisk.image for linux2.6 running on ML403?

angelalinyao at 163.com angelalinyao at 163.com
Tue May 29 17:46:59 EST 2007

Hi,all
    I used to run linux 2.4 successfully with my ramdisk.image on ML403.Now I'm trying to run linux 2.6 on ML403,however,my ramdisk didn't work. The error was as follow.

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 84k init
Warning: unable to open an initial console.

    My ramdisk was provided by MontaVista and suppotted kernel 2.4.Its dev/ is empty because it uses devfs and devfs is selectable in kernel 2.4 while making menuconfig.But in kernel 2.6 devfs is unselectable,so the error occurs with the dev/ empty.
    Is there any ramdisk.image provided for linux 2.6?Or maybe I have to make a ramdisk by myself?If I make a ramdisk by myself,where can I get all the files under dev/?Will the dev/ simply copied from a server or PC which runs linux 2.6 work for ppc405?
    Any help from you is appreciated.Thank you!
                                                                                                                       linyao