[U-Boot-Users] Where do you find *.dtb files?

Alex Zeffertt ajz at cambridgebroadband.com
Thu May 3 23:55:11 EST 2007

Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> Alex Zeffertt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to boot linux-2.6.21-rc5 on my mpc832xemds board which is
>> running
>> u-boot 1.2.0.
>>
>> According to u-boot I need a device tree blob:
>>
>>     => help bootm
>>     bootm [addr [arg ...]]
>>         - boot application image stored in memory
>>              passing arguments 'arg ...'; when booting a Linux kernel,
>>             'arg' can be the address of an initrd image
>>              When booting a Linux kernel which requires a flat
>> device-tree
>>              a third argument is required which is the address of the
>> of the
>>              device-tree blob. To boot that kernel without an initrd
>> image,
>>              use a '-' for the second argument. If you do not pass a
>> third
>>              a bd_info struct will be passed instead
>>

>> Can anybody tell me where I can find one for this board?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Alex
>
> Kernel tree under arch/powerpc/boot/dts?
> <http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=tree;f=arch/powerpc/boot/dts;h=2591d25045401b8beea474a1b4e117527e478521;hb=HEAD>
>

> Best regards,
> gvb

Thanks Jerry.  I've found

	powerpc/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc832x_mds.dts

... but when I try to compile it I get an error:

	$ /opt/freescale/ltib/usr/bin/dtc -I dts -O dtb powerpc/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc832x_mds.dts
	DTC: dts->dtb  on file "powerpc/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc832x_mds.dts"
	syntax error at line 14
	FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read input tree

Perhaps my dtc is out of date - it came with the BSP from freescale which uses
the 2.6.11 kernel.

Do you know where I can find an up to date dtc?  Is there any documentation regarding its use?

Regards,

Alex