[RFC] SystemACE driver - abstract register ops

Wolfgang Reissnegger wolfgang.reissnegger at xilinx.com
Thu May 3 02:50:34 EST 2007

Hi Peter,

thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I agree. Having the code in mainline would be most preferable.
However, there is always a delay between when people submit patches and
when code actually does get into mainline. Also, it's not always
guaranteed that the code is actually accepted into mainline. In the
meantime there are a multitude of patches floating around which IMHO can
be quite confusing.

The purpose of the "Xilinx git tree" is to provide a central place where
those patches can be accumulated, including PPC and MicroBlaze. Also, as
Xilinx is creating new IP cores, drivers for those cores will be
directly added to that tree, eliminating the EDK->Linux horrors.

So, yes, I think it's partly a staging area for code that should make it
into mainline, but it's also a repository for code that is not accepted
into mainline (yet), or new, or otherwise useful to the community.

Wolfgang