PPC login puzzle

Charles Krinke ckrinke at istor.com
Sat Mar 31 14:02:04 EST 2007

________________________________

From: Bill Gatliff [mailto:bgat at billgatliff.com]
Sent: Fri 3/30/2007 8:53 PM
To: Charles Krinke
Cc: linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: PPC login puzzle

Charles:

Charles Krinke wrote:
> I have 2 targets, both kernel.org linux-2.6.17.11. Both are currently using rootfile systems from montavista's 2.6.10 distribution. One is a PPC8241 and the other is a PPC8541.
>
> On the 8241, I can login with a telnet session as root. On the 8541, I cannot. On both, I can login at the serial terminal as root with no passwd.
>
> Neither as a password for root in /etc/passwd. That is, the first line in the passwd file says "root::0:0:root:/root/bin/bash".
>
> Being toasters, I dont want a password to cook my toast.
>
> The question is:
>
> "What are the various things that might cause one toaster to be able to login from a telnet session and another, very similar one to not be able to do this?"

Are their /etc/securetty files identical?

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat at billgatliff.com <mailto:bgat at billgatliff.com>

Yes, that that is another part of the puzzle as both the /etc/securetty and the /etc/xinetd.d/telnet files are identical in both root filesystems. So, there must be some ither file somewhere keeping me from cooking my toast with a telnet login to the 8541.

Charles