Accessng phy registers

Alex Zeffertt ajz at cambridgebroadband.com
Tue Mar 27 18:42:08 EST 2007

DI BACCO ANTONIO - technolabs wrote:

 > I saw that both in phy,c and mii.c (linux 2.6.19) there is support to
 > handle ioctls to read PHY registers. Why? And what should be used from a
 > user application? I have both CONFIG_MII and CONFIG_PHYLIB set to y.

Try "mii-tool -vv".  This uses the ioctls to extract the PHY registers.

If your ethernet driver doesn't support mii-tool it may support "ethtool"
instead.  Some drivers support both.

Alex

Cambridge Broadband appoints telecoms industry veteran John Cronin as chairman <<http://www.cambridgebroadband.com/mi20feb07.htm>

Maxis to upgrade its backhaul network using Cambridge Broadband; Alcatel-Lucent selected to manage entire upgrade project <http://www.cambridgebroadband.com/mi12feb07.htm>

Cambridge Broadband Networks Limited
Registered in England and Wales under company number: 03879840
Registered office: Selwyn House, Cambridge Business Park, Cowley Road, Cambridge CB4 0WZ, UK

This email and any attachments are private and confidential. If you believe you have received this email in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Cambridge Broadband Networks Limited cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the individual sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Cambridge Broadband Networks Limited.