A question regarding step and breakpoints

Charles Krinke ckrinke at istor.com
Mon Mar 19 12:11:17 EST 2007

Gentlemen:

I have an embedded system with a PPC8541 using remote debugging across the serial port. I am using Fedora Core 6 on my host along with gdb 6.3 cross compiled for the ppc target and Linux 2.6.17.11 on the PPC8541 target.

I can stop the kernel boot with 'kgdbwait' on the command line, startup gdb or ddd/gdb and set a breakpoint on do_fork which triggers reliably.

>From there, I can delete that breakpoint, set a breakpoint further along in do_fork or continue using ddd to a location further along, but I cannot execute 'step'.

When I execute a continue from either the gdb window or the ddd window, I do see the message:

"Can't send signals to this remote system. SIGILL not sent.

Even with this message, I can still breakpoint, just not step.

Some insight would be appreciated.

Charles