Reset cause API

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Fri Mar 9 02:20:56 EST 2007

Thanks Chris & Kumar,
--- alayrac <christophe.alayrac at cresitt.com> wrote:

> The type of reset is recorded in the most-recent
> reset field of the
> debug-status register (DBSR[MRR]). System software
> can examine this
> field if it needs to determine the cause of a reset.
> The effect of a
> reset on the processor is always the same regardless
> of the type.
>
> For more details you can see ppc-ref-guide.pdf (in
> EDK doc directory).
> Chris

The Freescale SoCs also have a Reset Status Register
(RSR) than contains the same kind of information.  I
wa s curious whether a system call exists or whether I
need to write my own.

What I'm really interested in knowing is whether the
last boot was cold(hard) or warm(soft).  The type of
products I work on have devices that must only be
initialized on a cold boot, to avoid affecting the
data path.

regards,
Ben