Howto read I2C on MPC5200 Lite

Matthias Fechner idefix at fechner.net
Wed Mar 7 23:24:30 EST 2007

Hi,

I started playing with I2C on my MPC5200 Lite board now.
For this a attached a MAX6633 to the I2C bus.
With u-boot I can read the chip so I think in hardware is everything ok.

Now I booted my board and loaded the module i2c-mpc and i2c-dev.
Create the devices with major number 89 and minor number 0 and 1.

I checked now for the kernel docu the file dev-interface.
They suggested to use i2c_smbus_read_word_data, but with this I was
not successfully.

So i tried to open the device and read with read from the device, but
no success.

Here is the final code i tried:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>

#include <linux/i2c.h>
#include <linux/i2c-dev.h>

int main(void)
{
   int file;
   int adapter_nr=0;
   char filename[20];

   // open connection to device driver
   sprintf(filename,"/dev/i2c-%d",adapter_nr);
   if((file=open(filename,O_RDWR)) < 0)
   {
     printf("Cannot open i2c device\n");
     exit(1);
   }

   // open connection to I2C device with address addr
   int addr=0x40;
   if(ioctl(file,I2C_SLAVE,addr) <0)
   {
     printf("Cannot access slave device\n");
     exit(1);
   }

   // comunicate with the I2C device
   // device register to access
   __u8 memToRead = 0x0;
   __s32 res;
   char buf[10];
   if(read(file,buf,1) != 1)
   {
     printf("Cannot read from device\n");
   }else{
     printf("Got %s\n",buf[0]);
   }
   close(file);
   return 0;
}

But I always got Cannot read from device.

Can anyone help me here please?

Best regards,
Matthias

Rich Cook