Endianness versus too many byte swaps??

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Wed Mar 7 08:28:11 EST 2007

Charles

linuxppc-embedded-bounces+brucle=selinc.com at ozlabs.org wrote on 03/05/2007
07:14:56 AM:

> I think the moral of this story is that the drive logic created by my
> predecessor that calls readl/writel to read/write ppc registers needs to
> be changed to call in_be32 & outbe32 so I don't continue a mistake.

Something that I'm not sure has been made clear to you (and I'm speaking
from 8347 experiance so you situation may be different but I don't think
so) is that the entire PCI interface on the chip is in little endian mode
regardless of the endianess you are running the processor in.  That's why
readl/writel map to in_le32/outle32, it's taking care of the byte swaping
for you.

bruce