Xilinx , Ml403, Linux And Money!

Mohammad Sadegh Sadri mamsadegh at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 10:40:51 EST 2007

Hi all,

Money seems to be really important, even when your product is still in beta releases ....

At least, my recent experince with the latest release of EDK and more than two weeks of trying different approaches to compile the kernel for ml403 is telling me that ...

At the begining stages of my work, some one here told me , "simply use edk 8.2.02 to generate the linux bsp and then copy the entire files to kernel tree and you are there " ... working and working and working ... I came to this solution at last : ( again another sentence from some one else here ) " I did not use edk generated files for compiling the kernel, .... I just used xparameters.h and then used the paulus patch " Very interestingly, I'm seeing that the paulus patch is not applied on the main kernel tree , I don't really understand why?

Another interesting point is that the GIT development tree of montavista for ML403 is 9 months old ....

Finally, you see some new app notes from xilinx xapp969 that tells you that you should be able to compile the kernel with exactly no problem and very easily if you have purchased either one of montavista or wind river dev kits.... So, Is the version of kernel used in these kits different than what montavista provides as it's git tree? It should be different because I'm sure that copying EDK files into the git tree provided by them just results some errors.

Finally we see montavista asking for your registration before allowing you to download the preview kit, and then their answer "you are not allowed to access the prev kit because .... ..... "

I was expecting linux kernel source to be free .... But it seems that it is not free at all.